Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Bleeding the Green and Gold: Super Bowl XLV Hat &Scarf

Okay, so not being a native of Green Bay (or Wisconsin for that matter), maybe I don't have the right to say I bleed green&gold. However, The Green Bay Packers have been the team that I have rooted for for as long as I have been a football fan (much to the dismay of my Viking-lovin' sister). :) Was I excited when they made it to the Super Bowl? Heck, ya!

I decided in honor of the occasion, I would make a hat and scarf in Green Bay colors (very practical for when my dream of seeing a game at Lambeau Field comes true. ;)) Since I loved the Ribbed Earflap Hat pattern so much, I decided to use it again for this project.

First I checked out Lion Brand's yarn to see if they had colors in their Wool-Ease Thick &Quick line that would work out...I thought Cilantro and Citron would work well. Unfortunately, when I went to JoAnn's, the only color they had in stock was the Cilantro, and I felt Butterscotch was too orange. Not to be outdone, I wandered around the store to see if I could find the equivalent (or another display, as the T&Q was on sale). Instead, I came across Lion Brand's Hometown USA, a 100% acrylic super-bulky weight yarn. Picked up a bright yellow skein labeled 'Pittsburgh Yellow'. I hesitated a bit-was it right to make a hat for the BIG game in a color named after the opponent? Then I spotted these shiny green skeins near the bottom of the rack. Picked one up and discovered it was called 'Green Bay'. No. Freakin'. Way.

This was just too perfect.

Casting all doubts aside, I purchased the yarn. Even the cashier appreciated the irony of it all. :-D (of course I purchased more green-it needed to be the dominant color!)

To adjust, I simply started knitting in yellow, then switched to green when I had knitted enough to make the brim:

(click to embiggen, if you like. :) )

I made the ear flaps green as well, but added a strand of yellow for the braid:


Of course, the pom-pom was yellow, with a hint of green:

(isn't it cute?)

Put it all together: Ta-daa!


I made the scarf out of the yarn I didn't need for the hat. I made a guess and divided the yellow into two smaller balls. The plan was to knit a k2, p2 rib-2 rows green then 2 rows yellow for one end, then knit the rib in green for a bit, then switch back to green and yellow stripes. I almost had enough yarn for 8 yellow stripes on both ends! (the last stripe of yellow is only one row).


The results weren't too bad:

(I like it!)

Some details:
Yarn: Lion Brand Hometown USA: #130 Green Bay, #135 Pittsburgh Yellow
Needles: Size 13 (14" straight for hat, 10" straight for scarf)

Hat start date: 01/29/2011
Finished: 02/01/2011

Scarf start date: 02/01/2011
Finished: 02/03/2011



And just because I think it's cute:

(Krismutt, Fashion model extraordinaire :)

I'm also linking to this for the first time:

Today's Creative Blog


Super Bowl XLV in a word: AWESOME!!!
Go, Pack, go!

No comments: