Monday, August 22, 2005

Yarn sale!

Oooooh, JoAnn's is having a yarn sale this week! Plus, I have coupons! Perseph, let's go! I've been thinking about giving Moda-Dea Ricochet a try, (for T and Boo) and found out that there's a sale going on this weekend. I was talking to my friend Agnes, and she pointed out that Wool-Ease is also on sale-sweeT! I can use that to make something for Kyle (nice, solid, not-so-girly colors) ;)

Speaking of gifts, I started Mellon's cardigan on Saturday. I'm using Caron Simply soft baby sport yarn instead of Red Heart Fleece, and so far, the gauge checks out (number of stitches/inch-need to knit a few more rows before I can check rows/inch) The pattern requires you to start out with smaller needles and switch to bigger ones-no problem. Last night I was knitting along happily, got slightly disctracted so I had to put down my needles. When I started up again, I discovered that I had picked up the wrong needle, and had started another row with the smaller needles again. I tried to start the row over, but ended up ripping all the stitches out and starting completely over! (Perseph was having a similar experience with her crocheting over the weekend-I feel her pain!) That's what I get for leaving the smaller needles out where I can reach them. This time, my cast on looked much neater, so in a way, it's a good thing I picked up the wrong needle when I did! ;)

Since the number of rows between color changes are so few, I'm experimenting with carrying the yarn not in use up with my work. My Doctor Who scarf, Perseph's prayer shawl, and Mellon's baby blanket all had color changes, but they were so few (or in the case of the Who scarf, so many different colors at different widths) that trying to carry the colors not in use would have been a bit unreasonable. The cardigan, however, only has two colors, and the color swithes often enough that it might be worthwhile. Having to weave in so many loose ends at the end would be terribly annoying, and might look sort of messy. So far, so good, but I've only had to switch colors twice. ;) When I get a little farther along I'll post a picture.

No comments: